We were out early and crossed to the northern shore via the lovely narrow Cornish side roads, stopping first at Porthtowan, which has a very fine beach, and thats about it except for a car park and shops
Next port of all was St Agnes, the fancy sign when entering the village showed a stone harbour, we were surprised that St Agnes is in fact a mile or so away from the sea (uphill) and we wound down the hill to Trevaunance Cover where the mystery of the missing harbour was revealed. Apparently the harbour(s) used to be in Trevaunance Cove, but no less than four of them were lost to the fury of the waves! The last and best one lasted over a hundred and twenty years and lost in 1919, the least successful earliest one only lasted one night!
Here is the road down into the cove with the Post Office and Lifeboat Station on the right
We stopped (for free) at Mawgan Porth and had rather nice pasties and a cuppa at the bakery (a one time petrol station) before continuing to the National Trust car park at Carnewas (Bedruthan Steps) what scenery!